Running your own business can be incredibly challenging. Many small business owners—including Med Spa owners—work around the clock, well beyond the standard 40-hour workweek. Often, burnout can creep in, before you know it. As an owner, it is your responsibility to develop a strategy to prevent burnout, and to be able to effectively deal with burnout when it happens. Not only is it critical for you to be able to deal with personal burnout, but it is also your responsibility to employ preventative strategies to ensure that your employees also do not buckle under pressure, as well. In this blogpost, we discuss a few helpful tips on how to prevent professional burnout in the Med Spa space, for you and your employees.
- Take care of yourself, and encourage your employees to take care of themselves
Physical well-being is incredibly important because it enables everything else. This means eating and sleeping well, staying hydrated, engaging in a good exercise routine, and generally engaging in good lifestyle habits while consciously abstaining from poor choices. By prioritizing your health (and encouraging your employees to do the same) you ensure that everyone is functioning at their best capacity.
Here are some ways you can encourage your employees to focus on their physical health:
- Create a workplace health or fitness challenge
- Schedule a well-being day or workplace retreat
- For team lunches, dinners and events, ensure that you select healthy food options
- Promote mental health at the workplace
Mental health is just as important as physical health, and prioritizing your and your employees’ mental health will further ensure that everyone is performing at their best. Your employees should feel that their mental health matters to you, as their employer. You can demonstrate this by ensuring that a culture of wellness is promoted in your Med Spa.
Here are some ideas on how you can promote mental health at your Med Spa, for your employees:
- Schedule mental health training sessions or workshops at your workplace
- Look for ways to encourage mental health and wellness development for your employees (for example: offering workplace yoga classes, offering a workplace retreat, or providing resources for them to seek counselling if needed)
- Be on the lookout for signs of burnout in your employees and be accommodative of their needs
- Seek employee feedback
One of the best ways to find out if your clinic is facing burnout issues is to simply ask your employees. Find out about their workload, how are they managing it, if there are any inefficiencies or issues with workload management. Showing your employees that you care can really boost workplace morale.
If you find that your employees are struggling with workload management, here are a few ways you can help reduce their stress:
- Encourage your employees to take off any accrued vacation days
- Reduce staff shortages/inefficiencies by tracking employee scheduling
- Hire temporary staff to share the workload
It is really important to make use of these strategies before burnout settles in. As a Med Spa owner, ensuring that you care about your employees and their physical and mental health can dramatically improve workplace morale, as well as productivity.